"NOT JUST ANOTHER FOOD OPTIONS"
My blog is a one stop center for cooking & kitchen tips, recipes from various cooking method & types, and you can find cool places to hang out with friends and family with good food and great music!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Desserts for Your Picnic Basket

Blueberry squares dessert (image inserted by Dylla)

Lemon coconut bars (pictures inserted by Dylla)

When I have a picnic, I try to fill my picnic basket with a lot of healthy food choices. But sometimes I just need something sweet when I go on picnic or travel with my great niece and nephew and pack my picnic basket.

The first recipe has been in my family for years and I have no idea where it originated from. My mom fixed blueberry squares for us from the time my sister and I were little and today I still fix them once in a while when a special treat is needed. People always rave about them when I do fix them so I want to share this treat with you. These are not something you could eat everyday but they are good.

Blueberry Squares Recipe 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oleo or butter
Then add 4 eggs one at a time until blended well
Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla
Gradually add 3 cups of flour until everything is mixed well
Spread batter on a cookie sheet - but save ¼ of batter
Then spread blueberry pie filling over mixture
Drop remaining dough on top of pie filling and I spread gently with a knife to smooth out mixture
Bake for 40-45 minutes in preheated oven of 350 degrees
When cool cut into squares and enjoy

Coconut Citrus Bars is the other dessert that I want to share with you
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together 3/4 cup softened butter and 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, gradually beat in 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour until crumbly. Then stir in ½ cup of crisp rice cereal. Then press mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat 4 eggs, then gradually add the following: 1 ½ cup of sugar, 1 cup of flaked coconut, 1/3 cup of orange juice, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of lime juice,
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons of grated orange peel, 2 teaspoons of grated lemon peel and 1 ½ teaspoon of grated lime peel until frothy. Pour over the hot crust. Then bake for an additional 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

So when you are thinking about a dessert for a picnic that will pack in your picnic basket and will be a great ending to your meal. Think of blueberry squares or the coconut citrus bars. You won't be disappointed. Happy picnicking!!!!

Nancy Hughes is the owner and operator of http://www.picnictailgatestore.com/ and has a blog athttp://www.picnictailgatestore.wordpress.com

PicnicTailgateStore sells the highest quality picnic baskets, picnic backpack, picnic blankets and tailgate gear with your university logo on the tailgate gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...